Today is an important day to me. While some people might not be a big fan of using a "style" blog as a space to write about their personal life, I love that quality of mine. As I have mentioned before, I started this blog with the intention of using it as a creative outlet, so it has come along with my for the past few years through the various highs and lows. Today- is a high. This post is dedicated to J.
It's funny because while I write this post, dedicating it to him- there is a chance that he may not even read it unless I mention it to him. He takes all of the pictures for the blog, but his involvement really ends there. I mean- do I really expect him to get jazzed about what style trend or outfit I am sharing on a given day? No. So maybe, I will drop a hint to him later today to take a peek- but we shall see!
Today marks 3 years of being together. I have to say, it feels like 3 years has gone by so fast but at the same time, I look back and think- oh my gosh, we have grown old together. I have known Johnny since high school, though we didn't start dating until way after. The last 3 years have been incredibly interesting. For me, it has been the time where most of my personal growth has occurred, where I have figured out who I am and what I want. Doing that alongside another person (who is doing the exact same thing) can be quite tricky.. and scary. We have had so many fun times with one another and we have also had to make some really big decisions together. We have gone through extreme highs and the deepest of lows. We have made each other feel so special but we have also, at times, hurt one another deeply. We are one another's biggest supporters, but there have also been times where we have differed greatly in our views. All of these things have significantly defined our relationship. They have added immense depth to our partnership that has allowed us to better understand one another, and love each other better. We still have so much to figure out, as individuals and as a couple- but that is what makes life interesting and rewarding. I am grateful that neither of us lives off of the ideal that we need to be together, but rather that we want to be together. As individuals we are strong and powerful and together we compliment the other. That is what relationships and partnerships are intended to be- a compliment of/to the other.
Today I want to share 10 things that I love about J.
- His perseverance. This guy is probably the most hard working individual that I have ever met. He has been working towards his goal since before we started dating. He has encountered so many obstacles but he has always attacked them head on and with so much determination. It challenges me to do the same.
- His song-makeups. This is something that is too hard to truly explain or understand unless you witness it in person lol. Johnny has this gift of making up talking songs about literally... anything. Sometimes they make absolutely no sense at all, but they almost always, without a fault are hilarious.
- His google obsession. I don't think I need to elaborate much on this, but Johnny is the master of google search. He can actually spend hours on his blackberry (yes... he still uses an old blackberry) google searching anything. ANYTHING.
- His ability to be objective. Johnny is really great at looking at situations or circumstances from every perspective. He is able to separate his own opinions and views in order to account for the way other people may be looking at a situation. While sometimes it can make me irritated because I just want him to agree with me (typical melissa thing), it is something that makes me a better a person and helps me to be more rational in emotional situations.
- His dog-talk. Again, you kinda just have to witness the way he speaks to our dogs. It is awesome, he really does get on their level lol.
- He listens. J is the first person that I have dated that actually listens to me (and to others) in disagreements. This doesn't mean that he thinks that I am right, but he lets me speak and say how I feel. To me, it comes off as him being bigger than his ego. When he is wrong about something- he will admit fault on his own accord. It may take a few hours, or a day- but he will. Furthermore, even when I am clearly in the wrong- he offers me the space and time to say what I think or how I see something and does not simply shut it down. I really, really love that about him.
- He's constructive. In any given good or bad situation he always in one way or another asks, "what can I do, what can we do differently so that (this won't happen again), (we can deal with this differently next time), (we don't misunderstand one another)" etc. He has a really constructive attitude and always wants to make things better.
- Master hair-twirler. This guy. From the time we started dating to the present day, he has always played with my hair when we are relaxing without me asking him to do so. He knows I lovveeeee it, and he just does it. It may seem silly but it wins me over every. single. time.
- Blunt. He calls me out. I won't lie- it has hurt when he has done it but at the same time I think it would hurt me more to know that he wasn't being honest with me. Through that bluntness I have identified things within myself that need some fine tuning.
- His laugh. I am not sure if there is a better sound than his laugh. When I hear Johnny laugh, like from his gut, it makes me laugh. Hearing his laugh and knowing that, that is the sound of genuine happiness makes me so happy. I hope that I never stop hearing it.
Thanks J for changing my world and adding so much more to my life. I can't want to see where we go from here.